Thursday 9 April 2015

Favourite Poems and Quotes

Favourite Poems and Quotes is the theme for this months challenge at Art Journal Journey.
I decided to use The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner for my page, it's a poem that I remember doing for my exams at school.


There's a very small line drawing at the end of the poem in my book, so I adapted it for my page. I drew the design and painted the sky and sun with acrylic paint. I painted the sea with acrylic paint and then sprinkled turquoise and emerald green brushos on it, then I gave it a spray of water. The ship and albatross were painted with acrylic paint and I drew lines on the sea to show that there wasn't a wave in sight. I decided to put the albatross in the picture even though by the time the ship was becalmed he'd been killed by the ancient mariner.

Here's a close up of the verse.
I was going to use the verse "Water water everywhere" but decided the one I used was more apt.


10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, we learnt it at school too! 'Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink....'Great journal page and thanks a lot for joining us at Art Journal Journey, always good to see you there! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your page Hazel! I have been living by the sea all my life and admire maritime project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece ... the image (with those *still* horizon lines) work perfectly with the quote you chose. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely page Hazel, I can hear the sea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. what adorable effect on the sea here Hazel... this page is gorgeous!
    Thank you very much for this fab contribution to Art Journal Journey!
    I love to have you with us!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just brilliant Hazel, love the colours in the sea! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great poem to chose Hazel and a terrific piece of art.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ancient Mariner always spooks the heck out of me! A really powerful quote, and your ocean depths look amazing.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete